The BrIdGing the Gap to Enhance Clinical Research Program (“BIGGER” program) provides a high-quality research experience over a 6-month period for students in their gap year, defined as the period after college graduation and prior to applying for or enrollment in graduate/professional school. The program is designed to attract diverse, talented students to careers in science; to foster a better understanding of clinical research and its implications; and to provide opportunities for students to gain valuable research experience in preparation for a health professions career. The proposed immersion program will expand and complement existing NIH-sponsored training programs at Duke University and under the leadership of the co-PIs, Dr. Kevin Thomas and Dr. Vivian Chu.
Who is the BIGGER Program for?
Students who have recently finished an undergraduate degree who are taking a gap year prior to applying for or enrolling in a graduate/health professions school.
A total of six students will be chosen each year.
Since this program is funded by the National Institute of Health, only U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and non-citizen nationals are eligible.
- 6-month research experience beginning June 2018 (repeats annually)
- Recruitment of individuals from underrepresented groups from area universities
- Trainee development of a research project in cardiovascular medicine
- Didactic curriculum on clinical research methodology
- Training in the responsible conduct of research
- Career development sessions led by faculty mentors
- Observational clinical rotation to enhance educational experience
- Each trainee will work with a senior and junior faculty mentor
- Participants will receive a stipend
2018 Program Application and Dates
The 2018 BIGGER program will run from June to December 2018. Applications are now open through Friday, March 16, 2018.
How to Apply
- completed application form
- two letters of recommendation
- college transcript
Please complete the form and email all documents to Terri Taylor at email@example.com by March 16, 2018.
(Letters of recommendation should be emailed by the referrer)
Please contact Terri with any questions or concerns.