Request for ApplicationsDecember 4, 2017
Purpose: The intent of this RFA is to enable Duke researchers to use Medable’s product, Axon, a new tool to create direct-to-patient study apps. Learn more about Medable Axon.
Application Due Date: January 31, 2018
The funding covers the cost of one Medable license—currently $11,000. Award does not include time for research staff or other costs. Recipients will also receive ten hours of support from Mobile App Gateway team.
Selections will be made by March 1. The study team receiving funding will have access to the Medable product by May 1, 2018. The app must be built, and all data downloaded by April 30, 2019.
Brief progress reports will be required at 6 and 12 months.
Proposals must be submitted by Duke regular rank faculty and comply with the Duke University policy on PI Status in the Duke Faculty Handbook. Researchers holding an adjunct appointment are not eligible to apply. Non-Duke faculty, including staff and students, may be named as co-investigators.
Criteria and additional information:
- No integration with Epic or other data sources
- Does not require custom development (fits into existing Medable functionality)
- This app must be made available for free and not commercialized
- Selection does not eliminate the need for study protocol documentation and official IRB approval
- App will need to be developed, deployed, and all data captured within 12 months
Applications will be judged on the novelty, uniqueness and impact of the opportunity presented by the application. Applications will be reviewed by a committee that comprises researchers and experts in mobile technology, who will perform a detailed review of the applications and select the awardees.
Benefits of the Medable Product:
- No software development skills required to build your app – anyone with a computer and internet connection can build an app
- App can be deployed on both iPhones and Android phones
- App will be branded with Duke logo and published to Duke Health or Duke University App Stores
- Study open to the general public (large potential enrollment population beyond Duke)
- Online analytics platform that shows real-time study enrollment data
For more information on the capabilities of the Medable Axon and Cortex tools, including the available modules, see documentation for Axon or learn more about Axon features. You can also contact the Mobile App Gateway for consultation.
In your application, please include the following information (2-page limit). Submit completed applications to email@example.com no later than 5pm on January 31, 2018.
- Research team members: Provide name, position, and departmental/school affiliations for each team member
- Study aims: Briefly describe your study’s primary aims
- Project description: Include patient population, basic study procedures, and measures. Describe the Research Kit Modules that will be used in your study
- Evaluation or analysis plan overview: Briefly describe your plan for evaluating your mobile app or analyzing the data
- Additional funding: If you plan to employ funds from another funding source, please describe
- Timeline & Future plans: Provide details on your proposed timeline including IRB application, app development, data collection, and analysis. Also, describe any plans for future funding, publication, and dissemination of findings that you plan as a result of this project.